Saturday, September 17, 2011

Happy 104th Birthday, Virginia

The mother of my friend, Heather Ricker Gilbert, turns 104 today!  Virginia is an unforgettable character and I have a stash of  memories of  her. 

She was a professor of English at Penn State, and you knew you'd "arrived"  when you made it onto her Christmas Tea list. 

When Heather got her Doctorate in Education, Virginia gave a party for her.
Bud and I were invited, but we had a conflict. We had already made plans to go to Nova Scotia and we really wanted to get our vacation started.  I talked with Heather and said we'd have our own private celebration with her when we got back. She was fine with our going.  

That was the easy part.  Next, I'd have to call Virginia with my regrets.
I told Virginia that because we were leaving for Nova Scotia a few days before the party, we'd be unable to come.
"Nancy," she said, "it isn't that you're unable to come to Heather's party, it's that you choose not to come to Heather’s party"
Whoa, Virginia, I still liked you in spite of that uncomfortable moment and right now I'm choosing to come and see you next month in State College.  
Happy 104th Birthday!

No comments: