Monday, June 27, 2011

Ditch Digging








I’m a long-time Nova Scotia ditch lover. I grew up in the city, where everything was paved over and water ran into sewers with metal grates. They provided efficiency, but little to watch and wonder about. It was just man-made materials doing their jobs.


Childhood summers gave me Nova Scotia ditches, with mud and plants growing down there. There was drama in the ditches, and I’ve been hooked ever since.


When we arrived this summer, I was worried about what could possibly come up in our local ditches, since there was so much run-off water that the telephone poles were knee-deep in it.


But the draining process did its work and the crops of Lupine, Blue Flag Iris, Ferns and Cat Tails are spectacular.


The dogs and I have also mind-marked where the raspberries and wild strawberries beside the ditches are, and we’re keeping watch.

Louie is a fellow ditch lover, and with nose to the ground, heads down into them whenever I loosen the lead. He’s more interested in critters than plants, though.

I just continue to marvel at what chooses to blow in and make the ditch its home. Our own driveway changes every year.

A visitor of ours from the UK once said to me, “ Everything we work so hard to cultivate in England, just grows wild in the ditches in Nova Scotia. “

No comments: